Thursday, April 29, 2021

Yawny (not Yanni) #AtoZChallenge2021

My word choice for today may have sparked thoughts for you of the spectacular Greek-American composer, keyboardist, pianist, and music producer, Yanni. As it did for me, and I immediately headed over to YouTube to indulge in a few of his top hits, including One Man's Dream and Santorini. And, of course, Standing in Motion.


So easy to relax and reenergize in the presence of genius.

Also energizing is the act of yawning. Yawny is an adjective characterized by or producing yawning. Yawning and stretching is possibly beneficial for brain temperature regulation. You may feel yawny when your body wants to wake itself up. The yawn helps stretch the lungs and allows the body to flex its muscles and joints. Blood forced to your face and brain also increase alertness. 

My research on yawning began several weeks ago, after a routine teeth cleaning appointment at my dentist's office. Near the end of the procedure, my face began to feel strange and I quickly sat up in the chair. That's when my jaw slipped out of joint. With this large ball protruding from the left side of my face, I could still talk and felt no pain. The dentist told me to gently massage the cheek, which I did, and after about a minute the jaw slipped back into place and life went on.

But now when I feel yawny, my first inclination is to stifle the urge as a precaution against opening my mouth like the lion in the above photo, none too eager to have my jaw displaced again. My research suggests this is not an unusual occurrence and once it happens, it may likely reoccur.

No one I asked has ever had this happen to them. Did you or someone you know ever experience a dislocated jaw not caused by trauma?

(669) YANNI - “One Man’s Dream” (Live At The Acropolis 1993) ! 1080p Digitally Remastered & Restored HD ! - YouTube

20 comments:

  1. Eeks! That jaw slip sounds painful and surreal. I can understand why you'd want to stifle your yawns after such an experience.
    Yanny--delish:)
    And Yawn--don't think I've come across any post about yawn in the 5 years of A to Zing. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arti, it didn't hurt but I wouldn't want it to occur a second time.

      Delete
  2. I am yawning now in a relaxing way. I hate dentist visits so much. I'm going to try to erase that slowly from my brain starting now. =D

    Anne from annehiga.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, it wasn't directly related to the cleaning, Anne, and you can feel comfortable at your next visit.

      Delete
  3. Yawning... I was doing a lot of it yesterday, and then found I couldn't fall asleep! We obviously are in sync with our thoughts -- see my post!

    beth
    https://bethlapinsatozblog.wordpress.com/2021/04/29/yawn/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yawning seems to wake the brain so you can lay in bed ruminating about everything you didn't get done during the day. Thanks for visiting, Beth, and I'll be checking out your post soon.

      Delete
  4. I've never had that jaw displacement happen to me, but speaking of yawning, I have been under some stress recently and my body's natural reaction to that is to send me to bed. I've been yawning very frequently and also napping more than usual. In fact, on the way out to dinner this evening BIKSS noticed that I was yawning quite a fair bit, and this AFTER a good 2 hour nap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope all that yawning helped keep you awake through dinner. There sure are a lot of questions about the multiple purposes of yawning. A conversation starter is one proven purpose.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Just scary enough that I'd prefer it never happened again.

      Delete
  6. No, never heard of that before and I'm glad it wasn't painful for you and it easily slipped back into place!

    Today's Jethro Tull song:
    http://tao-talk.com/2021/04/29/a2z-2021-jethro-tull-songs-day-25-year-one-skating-away-on-the-ice-of-a-new-day-from-war-child-1974/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jade, I mentioned the occurrence to my PCP and asked if she'd ever heard of it happening to anyone else. She said it was rare and I would probably never talk to anyone else who ever experienced the same thing. So far, she is correct.

      Delete
  7. I love Yanni and I start getting Yawny around this time every day lol. Luckily never dislocated my jaw doing it. I would freak out if that happened at the dentist, hope it doesn't happen to you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Yanni is an excellent entertainer. And I'm with you on hoping the dislocation doesn't happen again.

      Delete
  8. I went searching the net and I wonder if it's TMJ / TMD? if it is, then maybe this website might be of interest to you... if you haven't already scoured the web for some answers.

    TMJ/TMD

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband pulled a muscle in his neck/jaw area from yawning once. Personally, I have to be sure to cover my yawns if he's around or he'll try to stick a finger in my mouth!
    In case you're interested, I wrote another "fractured fairy tale" for my Z post. Hope you enjoy! Doesn't Speak Klingon

    ReplyDelete
  10. I yawned a couple of times whilst reading this - don't worry, that's not a reaction to your writing, it always happens when I see or think about a yawn!

    I do get a painful click now and again but nothing that serious. Oh, here we go again ....!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never knew about all these benefits OR the dangers of yawning!
    Black and White: Y for Yuwara Ul Sahd

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I would have been freaked out if that happened to me... good thing it went back!

    The Multicolored Diary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never knew yawny was an adjective. Apparently neither does the auto correct onmy phone. I had to retype it after being auto-corrected. Hope the jaw dislocation isn’t a genetic trait!

    ReplyDelete

Aloha and thank you for visiting today! Feel free to tweet or share any posts of interest.