Thursday, April 15, 2021

Mishicot and Neshota Rivers #AtoZChallenge2021

My hometown in Wisconsin is situated between the parentheses of two gently flowing rivers. Once carrying the regal names of Mishicot River and Neshota River, both of Native American origin, they were later renamed the East Twin and the West Twin rivers. For many years, Neshota River supplied a variety of fish, mainly bass and trout, that my dad caught and my mother fried up for our supper.

Along the banks of the rivers, Dad set traps for muskrat (sometimes catching mink) and sold the pelts. The Neshota River allowed for enjoyable boating excursions in summer. When frozen solid during the winter, the Mishicot River supplied an alternate route for my grandfather to travel by automobile.



While researching the lives of my ancestors, I noticed that European rivers seemed to play prominent roles in their lives, also. With the researched genealogy information, I wrote a series of short stories, using the collected facts to detail the lives of my ancestors as I imagined them.

One tale is set in a village of the area now known as the Czech Republic and revolves around my father’s great grandparents. The narrator is the great grandfather’s older brother, who remains on the family farm while his brother immigrates to the United States. At one point he muses over the inevitability of his brother’s life:

Years ago, Adalbert had told me that the Blanice river cut through the farmland owned by Jan Novotny. This was something he’d learned after he married Jan’s daughter, Marie, and moved up to Horni Hrachovice, a village divided by the Blanice. He always believed the river, which flowed through our land also, had connected him to Marie from the time of their births.

Because of this, I knew Adalbert and Marie were destined to leave our bucolic South Bohemian countryside and travel far. Like the river that drew them together, it was not in their nature to remain still.

Do rivers play a prominent roll in your family history?

*****

12 comments:

  1. Rivers have indeed played an important role in many people's rives and civilizations. It is great to learn that you have written a series of short stories.
    More power to you for sharing the lives of your ancestors.
    Am sure the stories will be very informative.

    I often feel terrible that I have lost my grandparents, who had a wealth of knowledge, and I regret for not having documented the same...

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good reason for you to document current information for your ancestors, Anita. Thanks for visiting today.

      Delete
  2. Picturing your father fishing and your mother preparing supper with the fish he caught takes me back in time. Are the rivers still as plentiful?
    There was a dry river bed (seasonal river) near where I grew up. My sister and I used to challenge each other to cycle through. Scrapes and knocks were abundant in those years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful view of the river. I live along the Connecticut River and grew up along the Thames...
    Beth
    https://bethlapinsatozblog.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your history of life along the river is quite extensive, Beth. You must have material to write several interesting stories about your experiences.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely story about Adalbert and Marie. Very sweet and romantic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynnette. I don't lean toward writing romantic prose but I enjoyed the image as this little story unfolded.

      Delete
  5. When us kids were young my dad used to take us to a small park along a small branch of a many-branched river. It was shallow enough to wade in. There was a bridge going over part of it and swallows built their nests under it. It's a very pleasant memory from my childhood. The river empties into small lake that ends up emptying into Lake Michigan. I love all waterways!


    My “M” song for today:
    http://tao-talk.com/2021/04/15/a2z-2021-jethro-tull-songs-day-13-mother-goose-from-aqualung-1971/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! to be living by the side of rivers! Some of my friends do. I am for now surrounded by concrete buildings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not in my biological family history, but rivers play a big role in the Bible which plays a big role in my life, and also in other myths which have also played a big role in my thought life. I often like to write stories with magical rivers. I love the symbolism of them and how they symbolize connection and separation, death and life. Love that story which seems to capture that. But no, my family is from all over (Europe and Asia) so any rivers that may have been relevant were never passed down to me, yet.
    Thank you for sharing!

    Anne from annehiga.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always wondered why they changed the river’ names. I much prefer the original!

    ReplyDelete

Aloha and thank you for visiting today! Feel free to tweet or share any posts of interest.