Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Quirky Retold Tales #AtoZChallenge2021

Earlier this month, I wrote about a project involving fractured fairy tales. The anthology we compiled to raise money for local libraries in Hawaii is entitled KISSING FROGS and other Quirky Fairy Tales

Frogs are well represented, in such tales as the eponymous Kissing Frogs; Frog Prince Wants a Condo; and The Kindred Frog. Some tales are a bit more unconventional, quirky to be precise. Examples include: Jack and the Beanstalkers; Why Were the Brothers Grimm?; and Hansel, Gretel, and the Food-Challenged Witch.

One of my tales easily falls into the "quirky" category. The story employs details from various tales of Snow White, concerning the methods in which the queen attempts to eliminate Ms. White - diabolical plans that included ordering the huntsman to cut out the step-child's heart; then resorting to poison, and finally asphyxiation. And while Snow White is forever associated with the lives of seven dwarfs, my story has Detective Whitey Snow focused on the demise of seven corpses. 

Available at Amazon.com

In the opening lines of her FOREWORD to the anthology,
Cultural Mythologist Jane L. Mickelson poses the questions: 

"What is the relationship between ancient myths and retold fairy tales? When does a myth morph into a fairy tale? And at what point is the fairy tale turned inside out to become “fractured” or “retold”? 

She continues in this following excerpt: "In one sense, all myths, fairy, and folk tales, as we know them now, are retold. They arise out of oral tradition and are passed along by memory, which inevitably puts new spins on their telling, to match the cultural environment in which they’re told. From the sacred to the profane, nothing seems outside the permissible."

Would your version of a fractured fairy tale lean toward romance, comedy, mystery, or a completely different genre?

*****

12 comments:

  1. I like the idea of your version of 'Snow White'. I think I would head down that crime thriller route for retelling fairy tales too And why are frogs so often used in fairy tales?!
    https://iainkellywriting.com/2021/04/20/the-state-trilogy-a-z-guide-q/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The frogs are the ones who get the princess to kiss them so they can break the evil spell and turn back into a prince. So many frogs, so little time!

      Delete
  2. The foreword is making me rethink all the myths and fairy tales I've ever heard/read.
    So true about the retellings.
    I may rewrite some as spoken word pieces and use humour.
    I like your version of Snow White--can picture the sleuthing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Arti, reading aloud the retold stories adds to the fun. Normally, we do readings at the library twice a year, in February and October, but that has been on hold for some time now. Hopefully, we can start again by Halloween.

      Delete
  3. I got a mash-up flash fiction prompt for "Snow White meets the Terminator" once. It was quite a challenge! I included it in my Greed and Retribution collection (although I looked for it in the Time travel one coming up in June at first!)

    I also had a character in my Princelings series, a Narrator (Willoughby) and he has a lot of stories that are variations on fairy tales, including my favourite alteration, the Princess and the Pea.

    Thanks for visiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, goodness, the Terminator. I am trying to imagine Snow up against Schwarzenegger. Something is sure to get fractured. Sounds as though you have enjoyed delving into the genre of fractured fairy tales. It is addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wrote a fractured fairy tail spin on The Frog Prince, in a horror genre. If you care to read it:
    http://tao-talk.com/2020/12/15/dverse-poetics-434-croaked/



    My "Q" song for the day:
    http://tao-talk.com/2021/04/20/a2z-2021-jethro-tull-songs-day-17-quizz-kid-from-too-old-to-rock-n-roll-too-young-to-die-1976/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blog post on the link you listed above doesn't include it, but I would like to read your tale of The Frog Prince, Jade.

      Delete
  6. I think if I wrote a fractured fairy tale it would be a comedy. Your fractured Snow White sounds really interesting. Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comedy and fractured fairy tales go arm in arm. You should give it a shot. But beware of becoming addicted.

      Delete
  7. I'm with the others in really liking your take on Snow White! My tale would probably take a comedy route, it's what I enjoy most!

    ReplyDelete

Aloha and thank you for visiting today! Feel free to tweet or share any posts of interest.