Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Xylocarp and Coconuts #AtoZChallenge2021

My AtoZChallenge theme for 2021 is Novel Research - novel meaning interesting, different, unusual. Most of my posts pertain to topics I have researched in the past. For this year's letter "X" though, I had to do some current research. Definitions for the word xylocarp describe a hard woody pericarp (outer layer) of a fruit, or a hard woody fruit that grows on trees; and the example consistently listed is the coconut: botany, a fruit such as a coconut having a hard woody pericarp (outer layer). A perfect "X" word for me. Sometimes, the stars align rather well


Hawaii is synonymous with coconuts. Every day I drink refreshing and hydrating coconut water, and I  sprinkle coconut flakes into my smoothies.  What is a Pina Colada or Blue Hawaii without cream of coconut or coconut milk? A Lava Flow without coconut rum?  

Lava Flow

A ubiquitous Hawaiian dessert, haupia is a traditional coconut milk-based delicacy often found at luaus and other local gatherings in Hawaii. Over the decades, it has become a popular topping for white cake, especially at weddings. Although considered a pudding, the consistency of haupia resembles a gelatin and is most often served in small blocks.


Visitors to Hawaii enjoy watching locals demonstrate the art of climbing a coconut tree to claim a ripe fruit. I, on the other hand, prefer to find my coconuts in the fruit section of the grocery story or farmer's market.



How does coconut play a role in your diet?

*****

18 comments:

  1. Now there's something new to me ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the fun of AtoZ, Jamie, always learning something new from the myriad posts of participants.

      Delete
  2. I love coconut water and I made a recipe this weekend that included coconut milk. I also love the texture of coconut and if I still ate sweets, a good coconut pie or coconut cake . . .or almond joy . . .or mounds bar! Yummy coconut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coconut water is my go-to drink each day, Lisa. So refreshing.

      Delete
  3. Ooh! all those coconut refences are making me hop and dance:)

    I miss drinking coconut water straight from the fruit as we now live in Doha and we have to buy coconut water in cartons.

    Coconut chutney is a must with with some dishes. I also use freshly grated coconut with vegetables such as beans and beetroot--yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arti, only one time I had an opportunity to drink coconut water straight from the fruit - on a tour. I do like vegetables with coconut yogurt sauce, also.

      Delete
  4. I love coconut! In French Polynesia, a dessert like haupia is named poe, so so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poe. Interesting to hear one of I'm sure many alternate names for the coconut dessert. In any language, it is indeed 'ono (delicious.)

      Delete
  5. I think I would opt to get my coconuts in the grocery store too although I bet it's fun to watch them demonstrate the art of climbing the tree for them. Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to watch, but I cannot imagine having the agility to actually do it. Ah, youth!

      Delete
  6. Really interesting and an eXcellent post for the letter X. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haupia sounds very tasty!

    There's a drink they sell in the Mexican food aisle at the story called coco de bebo that is delicious with tiny bits of coconut in it. When we had chickens a treat they really liked was shredded coconut.

    “X” selection of the day:
    http://tao-talk.com/2021/04/28/a2z-2021-jethro-tull-songs-day-24-x-a-passion-play-whole-album-1973/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coconut and chicken are a great match, Jade. Thanks for returning my visit today.

      Delete
  8. Oh man, I was just reading a myth about where coconuts come from on the blog doing the stories based on the Tarot and this was such a fun complement to that. Love coconut milk so much. Have a great day.

    Anne from annehiga.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the story on that site also, Anne, and agree it tied in nicely.

      Delete
  9. I remember being very excited the first time I ate coconut right from the shell (it was on a beach in Spain, and I was a kid). I do love the taste of fresh coconut :)

    The Multicolored Diary

    ReplyDelete
  10. I make curries and other dishes with coconut milk. Xylocarp is a new one on me!

    ReplyDelete

Aloha and thank you for visiting today! Feel free to tweet or share any posts of interest.