Monday, April 12, 2021

Jubilance and Janis #AtoZChallenge2021


What is it about the measured notes of
Wynton Marsalis' trumpet,
the vibrancy of Elton John's piano keys,
and the
hip-swaying rhythm of a Hawaiian mele,
that can melt your troubles away?

Music relaxes the mind and calms the nerves.



More eloquently stated during an interview, Italy's Andrea Bocelli believes music is "a balm for the soul that should be used sparingly lest its benefits wear out."

As I listen to him sing The Lord's Prayer with The Morman Tabernacle Choir, I feel the soothing, restorative power of music - that jubilant "balm for the soul."


Research for my first novel included immersion in audio/visual material on the life and music of Janis Joplin. The time was well spent although only a short scene survived the final draft which refers to "Four gentlemen and one great girl: Big Brother and The Holding Company.” In the scene, the one great girl, Janis Joplin, dominates the vocals on her inimitable rendition of Piece of My Heart.



Janis Joplin became known as the first female rock star, or as stated on the Cheap Thrills album, "the first, true female rock superstar", after Cheap Thrills by Big Brother and The Holding Company became a #1 selling record album.

For some fans, myself included, the song Piece Of My Heart is synonymous with the name Janis Joplin. Though she didn't compose the lyrics and wasn't even the first artist to take it to the charts, she made it her own and proved that a twenty-four year old Caucasian female from Texas could, indeed, sing the blues. Yes, "balm for the soul."



*****

16 comments:

  1. I love Janis Joplin's voice! She can definitely sing the blues.

    - Allison (https://lightningflashx.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes, yes! That song stops me in my tracks every time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had to stop what I was doing and listened to Bocelli's The Lord's Prayer! It's a piece I play often. As for the late and sorely missed Ms Joplin, wow! One of my favourite movied is Bett Midler's The Rose which is loosely based on Joplin's tragic life. I'm going to stop again now and play Piece of my Heart!

    Here's my J!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'll have to dig up my DVD of The Rose to rewatch. Glad you mentioned it, Keith.

      Delete
  4. Allison and Steph, we are certainly in agreement about Janis Joplin. Thanks for visiting today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a crush on Janis when I was 12. No idea why...

    Love the R. Crumb artwork on the album sleeve of Cheap Thrills...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need for reason at age 12, John. I have the CD using the original cover and it can keep you well occupied while listening to the music.

      Delete
  6. good "J" person. yay not booted today

    My J song:
    http://tao-talk.com/2021/04/12/a2z-2021-jethro-tull-songs-day-10-a-song-for-jeffrey-from-this-was-debut-1968/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Janis's greatest hits!
    But I don't agree with Bocelli about having to be careful not to wear music out. I think it's pretty durable!
    Black and White: J for Prester John

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting Jade and Anne. Looking forward to reading your posts for this new week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love her voice! That must have been fun research to do.
    I used your "fractured fairy tale" prompt on my J post. Thanks for giving my muse a nudge in the right direction! (and you're right, I want to try another one.) Doesn't Speak Klingon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your fractured fairy tale. I repeated the rhyme and everything falls into place. And your ending is priceless.

      Delete
  10. Music is "Balm for the soul" indeed.
    Just heard Janis Joplin's voice. Thank you for sharing the link.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love, love Janis! I read this post yesterday following my daily meditation, and had to listen to Piece of my Heart. Jolted me out of my zen, but it was all good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does have a kind of magic when singing that song, Wendy. Thanks for visiting today.

      Delete
  12. I envy people who can sing and paly music. Really, they work magic with their instruments.

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - The Great War

    ReplyDelete

Aloha and thank you for visiting today! Feel free to tweet or share any posts of interest.