Thursday, April 1, 2021

'Aumakua - a good omen #AtoZChallenge2021

In Hawaiian mythology, an 'aumakua is a family god, often a deified ancestor, that takes the form of an animal. If ones chosen 'aumakua appears, it is regarded as a good omen. Many legends tell of an 'aumakua manifesting itself to save a descendant from harm.

The gecko is my 'aumakua. The grayish, almost camouflaged gecko pictured below is one of the friendly fellows that visits my lanai during the day, and chirps away at night.

Common House Gecko

Known as Hemidactylus frenatus, this common house gecko arrived in Hawai'i from Asia sometime around World War II. Aside from bringing good luck, the gecko eats roaches and mosquitoes. While it takes both a male and a female common gecko to reproduce, the mourning gecko (of which only the female inhabits the islands of Hawaii) clones itself. (Yes, Dr. Malcom, life does find a way.) 

Although more popular forms of 'aumakua among Hawaiians are the crow, turtle, shark, owl, and hawk, I've chosen the gecko as my 'aumakua for two reasons. First, because I am a kama'aina (a word describing Hawaii residents regardless of their racial background, whereas kanaka describes a person of Native Hawaiian ancestry), I felt that choosing a more traditional Hawaiian form would be an imposition. Second, the gecko is considered good luck to have in the home, almost a blessing, which is a revered practice in Hawaii. 

Actually, there is a third reason: Geckos are just so darned cute.

*****


22 comments:

  1. LOL! Gekoes bring good luck here in Italy too. Adn yes, they are super cute!

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - The Great War

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting to hear that geckos bring good luck in Italy also, Jazz. Busy little buggers.

      Delete
    2. I too love geckos. If I were to choose an ‘aumakuya it would have to be a bird, possibly a cardinal.

      Delete
    3. Cardinal is an interesting choice, Wendy. As with the gecko, if you see a red cardinal in your dreams this is considered a good omen and usually associated with good fortune. Thanks for visiting today.

      Delete
  2. It makes sense to pick an animal that just appeals to you. Presumably that means it really does have some connection for you. I like geckos, too.
    Black and White: A for Atlantis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Anne, having some connection would make the choice more appropriate.

      Delete
  3. Fascinating. I think my aumakua is a bright green frog.

    I'm covering Jethro Tull songs for A2Z:
    https://tao-talk.com/2021/04/01/a2z-2021-jethro-tull-songs-day-1-aqualung-from-aqualung-1971/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent choice, Jade. Our Hawaii Fiction Writers recently published Kissing Frogs, an anthology of fractured fairy tales, so frogs have a special meaning for me these days also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've learned some new things here today and yes Geckos certainly are cute! We have lots of them here in Florida but I never knew they were thought to be good luck. I'll see them in a whole new light now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're definitely smaller than the alligators you have in Florida, Martha.

      Delete
  6. My wife would undoubtedly disagree with you about geckos as she is terrified of reptiles--irrationally so I would say. If they eat roaches and mosquitos then I'm all for them.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting piece. The only time I get to see geckos is when I'm on my travels abroad. I'd love one as a pet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's nice is they feed themselves, Keith, and find their own way inside and back outdoors.

      Delete
  8. Very interesting! The 'aumakua sound very fun and useful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you, John, and thanks for visiting. Only 25 more letters to go! See you through the alphabet.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. And the babies are so tiny they look like a piece of thread scooting across the wall.

      Delete
  11. They are cute! :) And I love this concept. Also, the self-cloning geckos. Fascinating.
    Happy A to Z! :)

    The Multicolored Diary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm looking forward to reading your alphabet posts also.

      Delete

Aloha and thank you for visiting today! Feel free to tweet or share any posts of interest.