Friday, April 2, 2021

Belgian Ancestors Remembered #AtoZChallenge2021

The failure of potato crops and the very small revenue of tiny family farms in Belgium during the 19th century affected the lives of my Belgian ancestors. Clement Baugniet and Augustine Paquet, great grandparents of my father, chose to leave Mehaigne, Belgium for a new life in America. In 1856, they boarded the ship Trumbell with their three sons, Francois, Florent and Frederick, and sailed from Antwerp to New York. Then they traveled down through Chicago to their new home in the village of Mishicot, Wisconsin.

Overlooking the Meuse River in Belgium
during my visit in 2007

Using information from the vital records I had researched over a ten-year period, I wrote the following short family history of my great, great grandparents who emigrated from Mehaigne, in the Walloon Region (Wallonia) of Belgium.


A SHORT FAMILY HISTORY TO PRESERVE MEMORIES, HOPES, AND DREAMS

Much has been written of the emigration of Belgian citizens and the hardships they endured to make a better life for their families.

Clement and Augustine had been married for fourteen years and had three young sons when they made the voyage by ship across the Atlantic Ocean in 1856. They left behind many loved ones: relatives, friends, and neighbors. Although Clement’s mother, Elizabeth, had died three years before the journey, his father, Andre, was still alive at the age of 82. Their youngest son, Frederick Joseph, was only eight months old when they sailed out of Antwerp. Before they were able to make a return trip to their homeland, Clement’s father died in 1858 and his sister, Marie Catherine, died in 1861.

Through these difficult times, Clement and Augustine found reasons to rejoice. The boys remained healthy and were able to labor alongside their father on the heavily wooded farmland located near the Mishicot River, acreage Clement purchased in a quiet farming town in eastern Wisconsin. In 1867, Clement and Augustine celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary. 

Copy of marriage certificate of Clement Baugniet and Augustine Paquet
from the Archives de l'Etat a Anderlecht

Within ten years, all of their sons were married, their youngest on the final day of 1877. Their celebrations included neighboring farm families who owned land adjacent to or near their homestead. Eventually, most of the neighbors became branches of the family tree as grandchildren married.

Lest we forget the hardships they endured and the opportunities their actions offered to us, their descendants, it is important to record our family histories. May their memories, along with their hopes and dreams, live in us and continue to inspire the constant striving for betterment imbued in the zealous Belgian spirit.

For pictures and articles about my visit to Belgium in 2007, visit this link: genealogy trip, Belgium, 2007

*****


27 comments:

  1. Amazing what our ancestors had to go through to get here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, John. I'm sure glad they made the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is beatiful that you know so much about your family. Did you research archives, or does it come from memory?
    All I know about my family comes from memory, so I can't really go further back than the end of the 1800s. But I'm happy that memory is preserved so far.

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - The Great War

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, my research included discussions with immediate family members, correspondence with more distant relatives doing research on a certain line, travels to home state cemeteries, and to Belgium. Also, Ancestry.com.

      Delete
  4. Interesting topic. (My original comment got "auto-bumped.")

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you were "auto-bumped" Jade. Not sure what that means but hope it doesn't happen again. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing that you've learned so much. I haven't been able to find much about my family. I think there may have been a lot of buried secrets along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Buried Secrets" sounds like the plot for a good historical novel, Martha.

      Delete
  7. You are so right about the importance of recording family histories! I know names and some stories, but not a lot of detail.
    Hope to see you around in AtoZ! My blog is new flash fiction every day:
    Doesn't Speak Klingon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I did was take the information I had and dressed it up with plausible details. Definitely a fun project for me. Thanks for visiting and I will be heading over to read your flash fiction posts.

      Delete
  8. Knowing that much about your ancestors is brilliant!

    My blog for today is https://www.dpfinnie.com/2021/04/c-is-for-cartoons.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Dino. I will head over to your blog today.

      Delete
  9. I always envy people who can trace their family that far back. Hungary doesn't have a lot of the resources for that... I'll have to dig more :)

    The Multicolored Diary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree that Hungary is difficult to research. I may have one ancestor from Hungary but not records to verify.

      Delete
  10. As you rightly say, it is important to record our family histories. Like you, I've learned a lot from my digging! Thanks for sharing this with us Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My regret is that we never wrote down our family history before my parents died and my aunts. A lot is lost now. Well done on your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Ancestry.com has so much information these days you could probably find some information about your ancestors there with strings leading in all directions. Of course, once you begin genealogy research, there is never an end.

      Delete
  12. You are an inspiration to me. I read your account with great interest and tried to imagine what it must have been like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kalpana. Researching the background of ancestors is a rewarding activity.

      Delete
  13. Family histories are so fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the research is endless, Lynnette. At some point, you declare "finis" and write the historical novel instead.

      Delete
  14. Thank you for sharing your history. It sounds like they raised a beautiful history. I was envisioning that journey to America with an 8 month old baby. I have a cousin that has done extensive research into our ancestors. She is supposed to share what she has discovered with me. Beautiful post

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing your history. It sounds like they raised a beautiful history. I was envisioning that journey to America with an 8 month old baby. I have a cousin that has done extensive research into our ancestors. She is supposed to share what she has discovered with me. Beautiful post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I always wondered what effect such a seafaring trip would have on a baby. Maybe the rocking motion settled him during the journey. I never heard any stories about this, though.

      Delete
  16. What a fascinating story, I love tracing my own family history and the novel I'm currently writing is based on my g-g-grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is heartening to hear you are composing a novel based on your family history. I often encourage others to put in writing what they know about their ancestors for the benefit of future generations.

      Delete

Aloha and thank you for visiting today! Feel free to tweet or share any posts of interest.