Wednesday, April 16, 2014

OCTOPUS POKE IS ONO AtoZChallenge

PUPUS, Hawaiian snacks similar to hors d’oeuvers, tapas, and canapés,
make up the third segment of my A-to-Z Challenge theme.

 ONO is the Hawaiian word for ‘delicious.’ My favorite pupu is poke (po-key), raw fish cut into cubes and seasoned with seaweed and shoyu (soy sauce) or sprinkled with sesame seeds. Any food that tastes great - broke da mouth is the Hawaiian Pidgin expression - is said to be ONO. 

Octopus (Tako) poke can be eaten alone or mixed with tomatoes, Maui onion, soy sauce, sesame oil, sea salt and chili pepper. I admit Ahi poke with seaweed and shoyu is more to my liking, though.
 

  
Ahi Poke


Octopus (Tako) Poke

 
Onion Salmon
 
 
 If you’re not into raw fish, onion-laced tofu poke with green peppers might be more to your liking.
 
Tofu Poke

Sunday brunch at the Oceanarium Restaurant in Waikiki’s Pacific Beach Hotel wouldn’t be complete without platters of Onion Salmon flanked by bowls of capers and cream cheese.
 
Greetings from the Oceanarium
 

7 comments:

  1. I could do the brunch and the tofu dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks absolutely deliecions. I agree about the ahi. Now I'm starving, and it's a long way to Hawaii.

    http://bit2read.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tofu dish is one of my favorites, Alex.

    The ahi poke is probably my favorite of all, I.L.

    Thank you both for visiting today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post!

    Please visit my blog, http://www.thatgirlybookworm.blogspot.ca

    My theme focuses on books and the title of the day starts with the letter of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not very adventurous where food is concerned. I’m probably missing out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sigh. Those look mouthwatering. I don't usually eat raw fish, but in Hawaii I make an exception. It's so fresh there! :)
    Great expression: 'broke da mouth.' (Never heard it, but love it!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That food looks amazing. I have planned a trip in the past based on eating fresh seafood. Twice, actually!

    Hope you are enjoying the A to Z challenge! Here’s my A to Z Post on Memorable Characters

    ReplyDelete

Aloha and thank you for visiting today! Feel free to tweet or share any posts of interest.