Thursday, April 7, 2016

G is for GULLIBLE MISTRESS


For this year's challenge, my theme is The Fun in Writing. Each of my 26 posts for April is aimed at illustrating fun parts of an author's day. A writer doesn't only write. Creating a story or an essay requires research, revision, editing, and lots and lots of coffee and chocolate.



G is for GULLIBLE MISTRESS

When it comes to the reading part of writing, I don't need encouragement. My latest hobby, begun after my third kindle stopped working and before I purchased yet another one, is to hunt for interesting trade books (those between hard covers and paperbacks) at used book sales. One such book is THE MISTRESS OF ALDERLEY by Robert Barnard.
 
As the survey says, I do buy these books by the attraction of their covers. Whoever designed this cover had a great eye for marketing. The fanciful, curly red M of Mistress immediately caught my eye, and sold me on the book.
 
"Sold" may not be the appropriate word, though. I found the novel in the book tent at this year's annual Carnival for Punahou School (the POTUS's alma mater in Honolulu.) 

Apparently, the school doesn't like to pack away the left-overs. On the afternoon of closing day, when I approached the counter with my stack of eight chosen books, I learned they were giving the books away for the price of a plastic carry-all bag (25 cents.)
 
Anyone who loves a surprise bargain knows that this was just plain fun for me. But if you want to know why I entitled this A to Z Challenge post "Gullible Mistress", then you'll have to read the novel.
 
 
Photos of the Punahou School grounds on Carnival weekend:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Looks like rain, but it held off until evening.
 
 
 
 




16 comments:

  1. Great pics and what a fun event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to read, and especially a good mystery. Perhaps that's why I like genealogy, it is full of mysteries waiting to be unlocked. I am enjoying reading your posts.
    Visiting from the AtoZ Challenge
    My Genealogy Challenges

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genealogy research offers a treasure chest of character ideas for novels also, Dianne. Even better, some terrific names that immediately add personality to the character.

      Delete
  3. I buy books by their covers, too. What a great deal you got!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and great deals in books always makes my day! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  4. I buy books by their covers, too. What a great deal you got!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, Claire, thanks for some interesting book selections today. I am working toward my goal of reading and reviewing 71 books before October, 2016, most any genre, so your suggestions give me new choices.

      Delete
  5. I buy books by their covers, too. What a great deal you got!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, now there's a hook for you! Read this teaser of what I liked and how I got it, then go read SOMEBODY else's book to see where this post got its title. Nicely played, Gail!

    Sharon Arthur Moore @good2tweat
    Parsley, Sage, and Rosemary Time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't take credit, though, Sharon. I read the book but realized too late that I hadn't written the review yet. The first half of my goal, to read and review 71 books by Oct. 2016, is the easier part to accomplish! Who doesn't like to read?

      Delete
  7. Looking for new books (new-old books?) is a favorite pastime of mine as well. I think all authors enjoy doing it! Great G post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah. Browsing also helps develop ideas for book covers. Covers that tell a story at first glance stick with me.

      Delete
  8. What a great deal! A bag of books for 25 cents!! I too choose books based largely on their covers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Uh oh. Does not sound like it was a good read. (But lots can be gleaned from less than good reads...)

    Liz A. from
    Laws of Gravity

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Gail, I am glad that you visited and liked the photographs. It will be good to go through your posts and discover amazing books and stories. Regards Subhash from https://agileopedia.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gail, I can so relate to you walking away with bags of books from a book sale. I have definite form!! I mostly read non-fiction and am currently immersed in poetry and biographies during the A-Z Challenge. It's proving to be an incredible but very intense journey. xx Rowena

    ReplyDelete

Aloha and thank you for visiting today! Feel free to tweet or share any posts of interest.