Friday, August 9, 2024

Dealing With Writer's Block #HawaiiFictionWriters

Members of Hawaii Fiction Writers meet at Aina Haina Library on the first Saturday of each month with discussions arranged and led by author Michael Little. The latest meeting focused on the topic of writer's block. More than a few attending writers have suffered this affliction - regardless of age or depth of experience. Each shared their means of dealing with the phenomenon and most confessed that they have suffered through dry spells where the words would not surface.

However, everyone agreed with one member's contribution of

author Jodi Picoult's saying:

"You can edit a poorly written page; but you can't edit a blank page."

The bottom line is that putting thoughts to paper automatically labels you a writer, the author of your thoughts. Whether you choose to share your efforts with others, through printed publication or other means, has no bearing on your status as a writer. Following Picoult's mantra, putting thoughts and words on paper to edit later, is excellent advice for any author who suffers from writer's block. More on the subject can be read here at Melissa Donovan's blog site:

You Can't Edit a Blank Page | Writing Forward

Stephen King says authors should read for four hours each day and write for four hours each day. Others say you cannot have good output without good input. Researching a topic and reading the work of other authors often alleviates writer's block by shifting the anxiety of "needing to produce" to a more relaxed atmosphere of entertainment and gathering new information. 

*****

the Writer's block
*****

4 comments:

  1. I think of Jodi Picoult's quote frequently when I'm drafting. It sets me free from the voice in my head telling me I'm writing junk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting how harsh we can be of our own writing, Janet. But I guess that makes for a better final draft. Glad to hear the quote sets you free to keep writing.

      Delete
  2. Both of these writers have influenced me with their advice. I will absolutely write junk just to get something on the page. I know it's junk but I don't care, because I'm a top notch editor of my own work as well as other people's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And some of what you first considered junk may actually be dang good writing, Karen. But editing is really the key to great writing, and being your own best editor is awesome.

      Delete

Aloha and thank you for visiting today! Feel free to tweet or share any posts of interest.