Friday, July 12, 2024

The Hits Just Keep Coming - Cadillac Clem: A Cody Ross Enigma

Chicago Civic Center (now Daley Plaza)
with reflection of City Hall 

Since my early teens, I have been an avid reader of book series in an eclectic range of genres, including mystery, thriller, detective, and adventure. When the 2019 pandemic hit, my reading schedule went into overdrive, focusing on authors ranging from Sandford, Connelly, and Baldacci to Randy Wayne White, C.J. Box, and Robert P. Parker. Cussler, Crichton, J. A. Jance, and Elmore Leanord also have designated spaces on my TBR bookshelves, both in print and e-Book formats.

But when a local author here in Hawaii publishes a book, I clear my calendar to read their latest novel, memoir, anthology, or book of poetry. When I received word that author Ray Pace on the Big Island had published a new sequel to his "Wise Guys You'll Love, If You Know What's Good For You" series, Cadillac Clem: A Cody Ross Enigma, I knew I was in for a treat. Ray knew it too - because his story unfolds in Chicago, a town where I once worked and chose as the setting of my first mystery novel.

For Cadillac Clem, it's 1960, the heat is on, and the Republican convention is gearing up for the coming election. Ike will attend, throwing his support behind his once-vice president for future president of the United States. And Private Eye Cody Ross, working on a missing person's case, is right in the middle of the ever-escalating action.



This may be my favorite novel in the series to date. Cadillac Clem is a well-told and entertaining detective story played out during the planning of the 1960's Republican Convention in Daley's Chicago. Sometimes, as you might agree with, it's hard to tell the good guys from the bad guys. And there is never a dull moment for P.I. Cody Ross and an entertaining cast of interesting characters.

*****

Cadillac Clem: A Cody Ross Enigma

by Ray Pace

Available at Amazon.com

  

2 comments:

  1. I envy your eclectic taste in books, because that means you will enjoy many different genres and writing styles. I've gotten pickier through the years, perhaps due to entering the editing and publishing arena. I think back wistfully on my childhood years when I could get lost in any book I laid my hands on. I do love a good mystery series though! Cool that this one is set in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Karen. The pandemic set me on the path to reading much more, and turning to series books was the natural next step. Entering the editing arena would make one pickier about their choice of reading material. And, yes, a story set in Chicago is always cool.

      Delete

Aloha and thank you for visiting today! Feel free to tweet or share any posts of interest.