Monday, July 20, 2026

Flat Lucy Day 12 Hanauma Bay

 

Day 12 - Tuesday, March 25:

Hanauma Bay 

So many colorful fish for snorkelers to see at Hanauma Bay

We took TheBus #22 down Kalanianaoli Hwy. to Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve. It's the best snorkeling spot on Oˋahu. It is not a sports beach, though. The Preserve safeguards the marine life in the bay.

Lava flows that created Hanauma Bay started about 40,000 years ago. Then water washed away the outer rim of the crater. It became an open bay. I wanted to list the names of all the fish but there are over 400. There are green sea turtles swimming in the bay, and the name of the state fish is: humuhumunukunukuapua’a.

 

Whales visit Hanauma Bay  

 
 
 the coral reefs are full of fish 

 
 Scampering Mongoose

                              


  

   

Kokohead Crater (in the middle picture) is the tallest and best preserved volcanic cone on Oˋahu. It was created about 7,000 years ago. Some scientists think the volcanic eruptions on Oˋahu may not be over yet. I hope nothing erupts while I am visiting. That would make a good story, though.


 

  

Who laid these eggs I am finding all over the place? It is almost like an Easter Egg hunt. 

 

Tile of Hanauma Bay Reef

 Today is my last day for sightseeing in Hawaii. Then Auntie will take me to the post office and mail me back to Minnesota. I held my lucky nickel. Something lucky might still happen to me while I am in Hawaii. I thought about the giant Shave Ice from Barefoot Beach Cafe. That was a lucky surprise. Seeing the yellow and red feather capes at Bishop Museum was lucky, too.

Then I remembered the ducks in the park; helping the Security Officer patrol the mall in Waikiki; meeting lots of new people who were friendly to me; learning Hawaiian words like honu and keiki and aloha; getting free rides on TheBus; seeing a water show at the Polynesian Cultural Center and touring a submarine at Pearl Harbor. Maybe having the chance to do something new and writing about it is the best luck of all.

I looked at the lucky nickel again. I was happy that everyone would see my journal and read about the things I saw. Too bad I am not able to take some Shave Ice back home on the plane. I thanked Auntie for showing me so many different places and taking lots of pictures of me. She gave me a hug. Then, just like they asked us to do at the luau, we each said a big “Aloha.”

 


 

 

 

 


                                                                 *****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Aloha and thank you for visiting today!