Wednesday, September 4, 2024

#IWSG The Benefit of Writing Rules 9/4/2024

 

Insecure Writer's Support Group:
IWSG Sign-up (insecurewriterssupportgroup.com)


Welcome to IWSG Day. The goal of this blog hop is to share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It's a haven for insecure writers of all kinds. IWSG is the brainchild of our fearless ninja leader Alex Cavanaugh. Thank you to the awesome cohosts for the September 4 posting of the IWSG are Beth Camp, Jean Davis, Yvonne Ventresca, and PJ Colando!

Every month, we announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say.

Remember, the question is optional!

__________

September 4 question - Since it's back to school time, let's talk English class. What's a writing rule you learned in school that messed you up as a writer?

The rule "Write What You Know" could have easily set me up for failure. To me, the wording implied that a writer should not attempt to write about anything in which they are lacking knowledge. I had some experience with police work after working as a police reservist and part time peace officer for five years. I also had experience working in a hospital, and years of experience working for insurance companies. But I had never fired a gun at anyone or been shot at - for any reason. Nor had I served in war, known the first thing about gas gangrene, adoptions in Vietnam, or the first thing about Carrara marble.

Yikes, what's a writer to do? Quit? Or learn how to utilize the library for research through books and the use of fiche machines? My first mystery novel came about mostly thanks to libraries. Later, of course, the Internet and Google took over. But only after I better understood that "writing what you know" meant picking a topic you are comfortable with writing about and then doing the research to fill in whatever information you don't already know.

How do you interpret the rule "Write What You Know?"

*****

30 comments:

  1. Yeah, that "write what you know thing" is BS. How would anyone ever write sci-fi or fantasy? :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Several people mentioned that one today. No one would write about anything new if we did that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wonder who came up with this rule and what they meant to convey with this advice.

      Delete
  3. Because we all know a collection of vampires and werewolves to write about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that's a tricky one. I'm glad your reseacrh allowed you to fill in the blanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that rule has been a snag for most everyone at the beginning. It sounds so clear but yeah, it's not what it sounds like. I vote we rewrite it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cast my vote with you, Jean. When writing a memoir, the logic of such a rule makes sense; and often life experiences will help fill in the blanks for reactions and emotions. Maybe a better rule would be to choose to write about what you want to know more about.

      Delete
  6. I write speculative fiction. I'm sure I know all there is to know about magic, shapeshifters, and space travels. Don't you? And if I don't know something, I invent it. The main challenge in writing speculative fiction is being consistent in your details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagination is a writer's best tool, Olga, and your ability to write about magic and shapeshifters is your secret power.

      Delete
  7. I love research, luckily! It's handy not only for plot but for books set in different locations, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think research is the fun recess part of the school of writing.

      Delete
  8. This was a good answer! If everyone followed the “write what you know” rule to a T, there would be no fantasy or science fiction. I like how you reworded the rule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. And there would be lots of other boring genres, too, like murder mysteries!

      Delete
  9. The same as you, but if I don't know about something, I can learn all about it in depth... then I CAN write what I know. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another benefit of being a writer - always learning something new, and keeping up with advanced developments in our field of interest.

      Delete
  10. My 4th novel was about the Vietnam War so I found a VW veteran willing to help me. I've talked to many soldiers, policemen, and behaviourists. People like helping. It's inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Joylene. And I also read a couple of informative books, including Women At War by Elizabeth Norman, to experience some of their emotions -albeit, second hand.

      Delete
  11. Writing is definitely an act of empathy, and research is our best friend. I feel like I'm doing well when I can find the emotional heart of a moment--whether I've literally "been there" or not. @samanthabwriter from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After researching a topic, it also makes it so much easier to write the scene from a personal point of view. As you mentioned - finding the emotional heart of a moment.

      Delete
  12. I always think there are two ways to interpret that rule - literally and broadly. You know human nature so you wrote about that in your crime novels. I know what it is like to work on a First Nation reserve but nothing about being a cop. Should I only write about white cis middle-class women? Fuhgedaboudid!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did think 'write what you know' is write what you have knowledge of but not necessary your own experience but still, it really help in writing if you have actually have done the things your write so you know it's accurate.

    But yes, write what you're comfortable with because readers can tell you're not comfortable with something when they read the words, at least, I think so.

    Have a lovely day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You go to the heart of writing, Iissa - readers know if the author is not comfortable with their topic.

      Delete
  14. That particular rule hitched me up for years! There's no more stifling regulation for a writer of fantasy. It made me feel all the time like I was doing something wrong because I was not writing what I knew but what I imagined :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And such liberation, Yvette, when realizing we can write about things we can only imagine!

      Delete
  15. The write what you know rule was my answer for this month's blog question too. Thing is, what I know is limited. And it took awhile to realize that by following this rule eventually my writing will become limited and stale too. Then my college professor said the opposite, to write what you don't know. Ever since then I follow both rules. I write what I know then add and expand on what I don't know through research.

    ReplyDelete
  16. And research is my favorite part of writing so it becomes a win-win situation for all.

    ReplyDelete

Aloha and thank you for visiting today! Feel free to tweet or share any posts of interest.