Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Developing Traits For a Novel Character

After years of gradually-increasing issues with my right hip, and a slow progression from osteopenia to osteoporosis, I had a total hip replacement in 2018. My years-long experience (often referred to as "aging"😉) was the catalyst for the through-line of my genealogical novel, SHARDS OF MEMORY - Oral History In A Heartbeat.

Even flowers have personality traits

In my case, adjustments prior to surgery included a lessened pace in activities and a shift in diet. This may have slowed the pace of loss, but whether as much or more than medication would have I don't know. The ultimate result was surgery.

The novel's character, a young child injured in a car accident, experiences prolonged hardships due to a damaged leg. Noticeable 
public traits of the child include a sensitive nature, shyness, reticence, and quiet demeanor. 

The through-line of the story illustrates an emotional growth as the child adjusts to adverse circumstances. Assisting with this growth are the four grandparents who entertain the child with ongoing tales of ancestors' lives in their homelands and their immigration to America.

My situation was temporary, and dissimilar in cause to that of the novel's character - ageing verses accident. The condition did, however, give me insight into the emotional impact of a long-term physical disability. 

The standard advice for authors working on novels is to "write what you know." In this case, I wrote about what I knew and then embellished accordingly.


Excerpt from SHARDS OF MEMORY: 

Art’s thoughts of late drifted to stories about ancestral lands he heard as a kid. According to his mother, tales about the old country provided a bridge of acceptance for new generations. But Art’s interest in past events paled in light of concern for his grandchildren’s future. This proved especially true of Gahlen who suffered physical and emotional scars of present day.

The accident had occurred several months after the child’s third birthday. Acute pain in the mangled right leg faded over time, to everyone’s relief. And Gahlen’s sunny disposition encouraged others to accept the tragedy as the will of a higher power.

*****


What personal experience have you used to flesh out a character in your writing?


6 comments:

  1. Setting and profession are definitely two that I dip into my own personal experience with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AJ, an author's profession often plays a strong role - there is comfort in writing about the familiar - and less research is required. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. I am no writer but I share your opinion - I would think that writing about the familiar requires less research.

    Love the cover and excerpt from SHARDS OF MEMORY.

    Happy Weekending, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Veronica, writing about the familiar aids in the research process although it doesn't guarantee avoiding going down the rabbit holes. Very much appreciate your sentiments of the book cover and excerpt. Happy weekend to you also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although most of my little tales are farcical fiction, many are inspired by something I've overheard or witnessed, paricularly my long running Rosey stories. As you know, I recently saw an angel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Keith, your stories do suggest a history behind them. It becomes an interesting challenge for the writer sometimes to add little "Easter Eggs" of fact based details to a piece. You always make it fun to try separating the fact from fiction. Thanks for visiting today.

      Delete

Aloha and thank you for visiting today! Feel free to tweet or share any posts of interest.