Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Cruising on a Sea of Words: kuleana

Words are cash in the bank for a writer. In my latest novel, Island Cruise Homicide, I use a selection of Hawaiian words, several Pidgin English words, and a few less easily categorized words, all specific to the scenes or dialogue in the story. The Glossary included at the end of the novel is for readers interested in a bit more description.

In a series of blog posts, "Cruising on a Sea of Words" reveals how the words fit into the story. Today's word, kuleana, is the Hawaiian word for responsibility or duty. When one has higher authority or special talents or knowledge, it is their kuleana to help others. But all residents are reminded that it is their kuleana to help in Hawai'i, whether to keep the islands clean and safe, to assist elders, or to respect another's privacy. We all share the responsibility of human kindness.

An excerpt from Island Cruise Homicide, a scene set at Ka'ena Point on O'ahu:

“I’ve been coming here to meditate every Wednesday for many years," Lehu said. "During my youth, Father taught me to replenish myself so I could concentrate more quality-filled attention on the needs of others.”

Nate rested on his haunches with his attention riveted on Lehu. “Do you teach others how to surf?”

“Yes, teaching is my kuleana, one of my responsibilities. Because I was gifted with the ability to understand the sea, my duty is to assist those who are not as attuned to the ways of the ocean.”

                                                      *****


You can find Island Cruise Homicide in print or ebook format today at:                Amazon.com
  https://amzn.to/2JuYg20


No comments:

Post a Comment

Aloha and thank you for visiting today! Feel free to tweet or share any posts of interest.