Monday, April 24, 2017

U is for UDON NOODLES AND UGLI FRUIT #AtoZChallenge

FOOD FOR THOUGHT
My daily #AtoZ posts combine two concepts in under-300-words per day:
an appealing food choice along with thoughts that spring to mind.
*** *** ***  
Udon Noodles Stir-fry

"What's the difference between Udon, Soba, and Rice noodles?" I wanted to know. After trying all three, it didn't take long to decide I didn't like long-rice noodles. To me, it was like eating rubbery cellophane and probably the reason I never order chicken long-rice.
Soba noodles are made of wheat flour and have square surfaces, odd for someone who grew up in the Great Lakes area eating plain ol' white-flour spaghetti. 
This brings me to Udon noodles, much closer in shape to spaghetti. But I prefer angel hair spaghetti,  and Udon noodles are "fat" in comparison. They're fine in a good stir-fry, though, using plenty of vegetables, soy sauce, and adding onion and ginger to taste.
Noodles come with their own personalities. Shell noodles, for instance, blend well in a cold tuna salad. Bohemian goulash needs fat egg noodles; chicken soup requires finely cut, homemade egg noodles. My mother, and her mother, always made chili with elbow macaroni noodles. I thought it an odd tradition to serve rice with chili. Now I often eat it with rice, or even polenta.
What is your favorite noodle dish?
***   ***   ***
Ugli Fruit
It is no wonder people refer to the Ugli as an ugly fruit. Not nice, just understandable.
Grapefruit, Orange, Tangerine Fruit
The Ugli is a Jamaican form of the tangelo, which in turn is a cross between a grapefruit, an orange, and a tangerine. Why anyone felt a need to create a hybrid of these three fruits is beyond me. Especially when the result was, well, an Ugli fruit. I would much prefer to experience each of these fruits separately.
 
***   ***   ***
 
 

6 comments:

  1. I have heard of this, never seen it. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the fruit. I like them just as they are. As for noodles, I don't use them often, though I think I know the one you say tastes like cellophane. I mostly have rice with my stir fries. But for pasta, I like fettuccine, perhaps with a nice mushroom and onion sauce...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of Ugli! Not sure I would like it either. Noodles on the other hand, I love! I can eat pretty much any version except for the crispy ones. Find those not quite as appetising.

    Thank you so much for your lovely and warm visit to my blog earlier :)

    *Shailaja/The Moving Quill*

    Theme: An Oxymoron in 100 words (Micro Fiction)
    Category Writing (WR)
    #AtoZChallenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, although I'm Italian, I like all those sort of noodles. I'm an experimental eater ;-)

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - 1940s Film Noir

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Aloha and thank you for visiting today! Feel free to tweet or share any posts of interest.