Wednesday, May 5, 2021

NOVEL RESEARCH From the Writer's Perspective

Researching specific topics or locations for a novel has always been a form of entertainment for me. In this time of social distancing, research has also substituted for planned vacations. Browsing through photographs, taken before lockdown, replaces the activity of local excursions.

In the month of June, I will begin a new blog series - NOVEL RESEARCH From the Writer's Perspective - starting with a special post featuring authors who have previously participated in an interview that included this final question:

Researching a new novel takes the author on a journey to many new places, whether through books, movies, newspapers, or physical travel. What did you most enjoy about the research process of your recent novel or WIP (work-in-progress), and where did the research take you?

Authors to be featured in the June 2nd premier post are:

  • Elizabeth Wilder (E.E. Wilder) Granite Hearts
  • Cheryl Lynn Martin Pineapples in Peril
  • Sandra Nikolai False Impressions
Future Wednesday interviews will focus on the author's research of a specific topic.
While a writer's research process can be instructive,
details about the subject matter are often the most entertaining.

I look forward to reading details about the novel topics authors have chosen to research for their writing projects, and expect to thoroughly enjoy wherever their research takes us.

*****

9 comments:

  1. If you would like more information about participating in a "Novel Reasearch" interview, please email me at: alohagmb13@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love researching places on which to base my setting. You can fall down a rabbit hole of interesting information and get lost for hours sometimes. I look forward to seeing how the different authors will answer the question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting today, Anstice. Yes, rabbit holes abound whend it comes to research! Some of the topics suggested sound interesting and may likely be educational as well. Many of the topics of focus during the AtoZ Challenge also deserve more time in the spotlight and I am looking into featuring some of those posts here also.

      Delete
  3. I look forward to the authour interviews planned for June.
    Thus far, my curiosity about places I've visited and the people who live there has been my most effective research tool.
    Now that I'm venturing into writing books, I reckon I will have to be a bit more organised about research etc.
    Hope to pick some tips here in June.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Arti. You are probably ahead of the game for writing books because you allowed your curiosity to take you on many research excursions. You probably have plenty of research tips to offer. Best of luck with your new ventures.

      Delete
  4. Rabbit holes are one of my favourite things! For fiction or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, writers and rabbit holes were made for each other! Hope you decide to participate in the Novel Research project one Wednesday in the future, Nila.

      Delete
  5. I look forward to this series Gail. I'm fascinated by what (and how) people research. It's always a delight, at least to me, to fall down those rabbit holes that research inevitably offers us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Deborah. Should be fun to hear about the various topics researched and the methods some writers use to dig up information to enhance and inform their stories.

    ReplyDelete

Aloha and thank you for visiting today! Feel free to tweet or share any posts of interest.