Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Hauʻoli Makahiki Hou: Cruising on a Sea of Words series


Tako Drummers ringing in the New Year

Each year, it is tradition for me to ring in the New Year by compiling a list of goals to take me through the upcoming twelve months. My writing projects head the list, with reading goals close behind. Some goals appear year after year, not for lack of accomplishment but rather because they bear repeating on an annual basis.

Healthy lifestyle goals top this chart since my total hip replacement in 2018, diagnosis of pre-diabetes early in 2019, followed by surgeries and radiation treatments for DCIS in 2019-2020. Whether I reach or exceed a goal, my satisfaction is the same. Only when I totally miss the mark do I feel any measure of disappointment.

For 2021, I've set a reasonable bar that reflects what I plan to accomplish over the next year in terms of:

1.) Reading

2.) Writing & marketing, and

3.) Healthy living.

I fear neither success nor failure. My concern is about setting a goal to accomplish something that is a questionable measure of my success or failure, whether as a writer specifically or as a contributor to society in general.

How do you measure the success of your goals?

 

Hau'oli Makahiki Hou

Hau'oli: Happy;

Makahiki: Year, age, annual;

Hou: New.

  


 

Happy New Year to You

and

Much Success in Your Future.

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Aloha and thank you for visiting today! Feel free to tweet or share any posts of interest.