Sunday, April 24, 2016

U is for 'UKULELES AND UNIQUE FLOWERS

For this year's challenge, my theme is The Fun in Writing. Each of my 26 posts for April is aimed at
illustrating fun parts of an author's day. A writer doesn't only write.
Creating a story or an essay requires research, revision, editing, and lots and lots of coffee and chocolate.



U is for 'Ukuleles and Unique Flowers

Several days ago, a friend and I drove up to Haleiwa along the
North Shore of O'ahu. She spotted a sign that fit perfectly with my post for today so we stopped to get a photograph! The sun was hot, the waves at Haleiwa Beach Park were high, and the shave ice with vanilla ice cream and azuki beans from Matsumoto Shave Ice was ono! Along with ukulele music and unique flowers, they are all good reasons to stay living in Hawaii, or at least to come for a visit.


My first introduction to the 'ukulele was through Arthur Godfrey strumming a tune on his radio show. He was inducted into the Ukulele Hall of Fame Museum in 2001. "It is likely that no other single person has been directly responsible for the sale of as many ukuleles as Arthur Godfrey."
 
When Mr. Godfrey visited Hawaii in 1959, he piloted a plane from Honolulu to Lihu'e Airport on Kaua'i. He was accompanied by the Ambassador of Aloha, Duke Kahanamoku, Duke's wife, Nadine, and Hawaiian singer Haleloke Kahauolopua.
 
Haleloke performed on his television show several times in the 1950s. On the show, she sang and danced while he strummed his 'ukulele.

One version of how 'Ukulele got its name

'Uku is the Hawaiian word for flea; lele is the Hawaiian word for fly, jump or leap. Seeing  a musician's fingers fly or jump over the strings of a musical instrument reminded the local people of a flea leaping around. (Now it makes sense where the ukulele string-tuning words originated: my dog has fleas).
 
What could be more Hawaiian than ukuleles and unique flowers?
 
After a recent board meeting, I walked past an area that always brings me to a stop so I can photograph the colorful, fresh-blooming hibiscus offerings.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
On ukulele:
Somewhere Over the Rainbow
by
Israel "Iz" Kaʻanoʻi Kamakawiwoʻole
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. Years ago, my brother in law worked graveyard shift making sure the boiler/heating system for the local college campus stayed running. In his downtime (which apparently there was quite a bit of) he built himself a ukulele and taught himself how to play it.

    Mary
    #AtoZChallenge U is for Underwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't imagine someone knowing how to build a ukulele, and then to teach himself to play it. Natural talent.

      Delete
  2. I love the ukulele!
    The hibiscus is gorgeous. I have two white hibiscus bushes that are just about to bloom...
    I really enjoy that video of IZ. He was very talented. so sad that he died so young... But they sure celebrated his life when they scattered his ashes, didn't they? That was a great way to end that video.

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to have your own hibiscus bushes. Very unusual to see white blossoms. Thanks for visiting today.

      Delete
  3. I remember the Arthur Godfrey Show. I used to watch it when I was a kid. The ukulele always struck me as a sort of novelty instrument and then Tiny Tim came along to reinforce that belief for me. Now there are so many fantastic YouTube video feature outstanding ukulele players so I can't call it a novelty any more. Some darn good music being played on that instrument.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The music they tease out of that little instrument always amazes me.

      Delete

Aloha and thank you for visiting today! Feel free to tweet or share any posts of interest.