Friday, February 12, 2016

A VISIBLE DARKNESS by Michael Gregorio A Baltic #Thriller


A Visible Darkness by Michael Gregorio is likely to remain one of my favorite reads in 2015-2016.
Described as a “gothic historical thriller,” this novel offers interesting insight into the history of Prussia’s Baltic coast. I read it as part of my research for a genealogical novel I’m writing (and worked on during 2015 NaNoWriMo.) I discovered the title while searching for fact-based material on Prussia. Although I chose the book as an addition to the bibliography of source material for my project, its entertainment value was an added and pleasantly surprising bonus.
In the vein of a Hercule Poiret-type detective, Hanno Stiffenias is like a dog with a marrow-rich bone. He won’t let go until every last clue is sucked out of the murder case he is investigating. The colorful background information woven throughout enhances but doesn't distract from the story 

The plot includes an occupying French Army and a young woman’s mutilated body found near the Baltic seashore; and a subplot about Baltic amber. Murder, intrigue, and a luscious color keep the story moving forward at a fast pace, dragging the reader quite willingly to a final solution.
 

Next up for review:
 
Damned In Paradise-A Nathan Heller Novel by Max Allan Collins
and
The Massie Case by Peter Packer and Bob Thomas

 

 

1 comment:

  1. I've come across some really good reads while doing research for my books. I think goo historical fiction yields as much information and texture as nonfiction does. This does sound like an excellent read: I love mysteries, and the title is so intriguing.

    ReplyDelete

Aloha and thank you for visiting today! Feel free to tweet or share any posts of interest.