Friday, November 6, 2015

FLASH AND BONES #FridayReviews

This week advances my quest to read 71 books between October 2015 and October 2016. I am posting my reviews here to keep myself honest!

 

Today’s review is for one of Kathy Reichs’ Temperance Brennan mysteries:

FLASH AND BONES
 

Over the years, I have read many of Kathy Reichs “bone” novels. With the recent heavy rains here in Honolulu a match for the weather in this novel, Flash and Bones seemed a perfect fit for my next read. The story opens with a thunderstorm, and forensic anthropologist Tempe Brennan is digging up a corpse. 

Obvious from the opening is that there are no wasted scenes. Something is always happening, either to Tempe or with her current assignment. The backdrop of the NASCAR world gave this story a twist that I enjoyed, having followed stock car racing in my younger years along with Indy car racing in the 70s. 

The interaction between Tempe and Detective Slidell entertained me throughout with subtle bits of humor and sarcasm as they worked the investigation. Several funny lines came from Tempe’s soon-to-be ex-husband’s soon-to-be wife, the bridezilla character named Summer. Although the scenes featuring Summer were short, I found the comic relief a bit distracting. Overall, though, Kathy Reichs’ novels remain a fast and fun read.
 

Next up for review:

LOVE Beyond Measure
&
PRISM POISON
two books by D.V. Whytes
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read any books by her, but I imagine they are entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished reading another of her novels yesterday. Like eating potato chips, one is never enough!

    ReplyDelete

Aloha and thank you for visiting today! Feel free to tweet or share any posts of interest.