Friday, February 12, 2021

Haiku & History of Hale Koa and Green Flash



Hale Koa view
 
Landscaped lawn to pristine beach
 
Military sound

The Hale Koa celebrated its grand opening on October 25, 1975 with a traditional Hawaiian blessing and a royal procession. The hotel and grounds are open to all ranks of the US military for rest and relaxation.

Although not a member of the military, I have had several opportunities to visit this military hotel complex in Waikiki. My sister is a retired Air Force Reserves Colonel, and she enjoys her time there during frequent visits to Honolulu. Sisters in Crime/Hawaii, my writers' group, has also held holiday luncheons there, hosted by retired military/fellow writers.

Of all the photographs I have taken on the grounds of Hale Koa (Hale - House; Koa - Brave, Fearless; Hale Koa: armory, barracks), one I failed to snap was of the Green Flash I viewed at sunset one evening. I was at the hotel’s beach bar as the sun reached the horizon, touching the blue sheen of the Pacific. To my surprise, and great pleasure, a green flash appeared and, for an extended moment, lingered. This occurred in 1995, the only time I have ever witnessed the illusive Green Flash. 

While I prefer to think of witnessing the sight as a mystical experience, a scientific explanation for the cause of the Green Flash when the sun meets the ocean can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_flash
*****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Aloha and thank you for visiting today! Feel free to tweet or share any posts of interest.